Traction and rail projects need suitable transformers designed according to specific system parameters:
- Frequency, voltages, power rating
- Losses (high efficiency and low noise)
- Dimensions and weights
- Impedance voltage
- Environmental requirements
SEA offers technical solutions for transformers with the following features used in this specific sector:
- Voltages: 1.5 kV DC, 3 kV DC, 15 kV, 25 kV, 1.5 kV or other specific solutions
- Frequency: from 16 2/3, 25, 50 to 60 Hz
- Current: up to 800 A
- Auxiliaries windings
- High temperatures class (from A to H) with Nomex®
Finite element analysis can give adding value to check electrical fields created by different frequences with the purpose to optimize the final project we are offering. SEA can also make a punctual study regarding to the effect of harmonics and overvoltages which are main factors inflence the choice of conductor.
Traction and railway transformers can be divided in 2 main groups:
For AC distribution can be available the following configurations:
- Single-phase power system with return conductor
- Single-phase power system with booster transformer
- Two-phase power system with autotransformer
In the case DC current is used for locomotive, the rectifier is powered by a three-phase rectifier transformer.
They can be installed under the frame structure, on the roof or in the power car.
In such case the main features are weight and size, and the reliability of course.